Google Summer of Code
Ecosystem science has many components, so does PEcAn! Some of those components where you can contribute includes but not limited to:
Scientific visualization – One of PEcAn's greatest strengths is that we provide accessible tools for a broader community. Help us develop powerful visualization tools and a well-built web API for a stronger information flow.
High performance computing – PEcAn takes the Bayesian approach in bringing ecosystem models and data together. Help us implement and optimize our algorithms for high performance computing environments.
Linking databases – PEcAn develops tools to make predictions for the future, but we do not have data from the future (yet!) to validate our predictions. So, it seems like a good idea to predict the past using the same models and let data from the past inform us. Help PEcAn to talk to the databases from where we can pull this paleo data.
Distributed computing – PEcAn is growing: we incorporate more models, more data, more teams everyday. Help us design and maintain an intact cyber infrastructure.
New instance setup – We want to see more teams in our network but we also want to make it as trouble-free as possible. Help us come up with a system that automatizes this process.
Dockerization – We distribute PEcAn as a fully functional virtual application that runs on a wide range of operating systems, but we want even more flexibility! Help us employ a dockerized system.
Documentation/Education – Did we mention that one of PEcAn's greatest strengths is that we provide accessible tools for a broader community? Help us make it even more accessible by clean and clear documentation.
1. Choose a project from our project ideas list or come up with your own.
2. Fill out PEcAn GSoC application form. The form is pretty self-explanatory, and it requires completing a project specific technical task which will in return help you write your proposal.
* Please fill out the form in a timely manner so that we can review it sooner and give you feedback. *
3. Send an email to your project-specific mentors indicating that you have completed the form, attach your resume or CV, and request feedback.
4. With guidance from your mentors, write your proposal.
5. Start coding!
About the project
Make sure you choose the right project for your skill set and interests.
Think about what you want to accomplish and how you want to contribute.
Keep the timeline in mind.
Tell us about your background and programming experience.
We want to know why you are interested in PEcAn.
Let us know about your time plan and other time commitments over the summer.
Don't wait to code. You know where to find us.